Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bionic Woman 1x01


I decided to give “Bionic Woman” a chance Wednesday, since I had no other show to watch. I was heavily disappointed.

The episode opened with Sarah, the first bionic woman, who just snapped and killed all these people. It was a reflex that she couldn’t control. She didn’t want to kill them, but she did it. We’re supposed to think she’s dead. She’s not. We know from the promos she’s not. There was no point to try to convince us she was dead.

Anyway, we flash forward three years to find Jaime Sommers bartending. She’s lethargic as a bartender, but a far cry from today’s “perfect females.” Yes, I think she’s absolutely breathtaking, but she’s not cookie cutter, and I appreciate that.

That was the highlight of my viewing experience.

The romance feels forced, and though I think Michelle Ryan (Sommers) is quite lovely, her acting ability isn’t what it needs to be for how seriously this show is taking itself.

It was choppy. It jumped around too much. It tried too hard to be an action movie.

The little sister was totally stereotypical, and that bothered me to no end.

In the original pilot, they had a different young lady cast as the little sister. The little sister was played by the young lady from “Arrested Development” who played Anne (Egg… Bland…). Anyway, the little sister, in that incarnation, was DEAF.

What a beautiful juxtaposition to have! Here we have the older sister who has all these amazing abilities and her little sister continues on feeling very different because of the way she was “built.” Like the man who said he let his wife die because it wasn’t his mission to save her with the military technology, here would be a tragic but beautiful image with a little sister who suffered… and the older sister couldn’t tell her about the miracles that had happened, no matter how much she might want to.

So, in short, I won’t be watching, again, but I tried to give it a fair chance.

No comments: